Friday 26 September 2008

Web Site Update

I updated my web site yesterday and here is a summary of additions and changes.

Dowler and Yates Family History
For a long time one of my brick walls was my great-grandfather Frederick Martin. All I knew about him was that he was born in London c1847 and his father was William Martin, who was a coachman. He married Dorothy Grindey in 1883 in Longton, Staffordshire, but I hadn't been able to find him on any censuses before then. A few weeks ago I was looking at the censuses on Ancestry and in the 1851 census found a 7 year old Frederick Martin in Marylebone and his father was William Martin, a coachman. I was then able to trace this family through the censuses, IGI, etc and was also able to find Frederick's birth certificate. This new information has been added to the site, but it is still work in progress, so hope to add more at the next update.

My great-great-grandfather Nahum Holden was a blacksmith in Crich, Derbyshire. In 1875 he signed a contract with the Clay Cross Company for all of the smith work connected with Crich Quarries. A transcript of this contract has been added to the site and can be found in the Documents section. Cliff Quarry is now the home of the Crich Tramway Village and the National Tramway Museum. The museum has recently been awarded a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund to restore the stone workshop and smithy where Nahum would have worked.

There have also been a few additions to the Wetton family.

Russell and Wadey Family History
There are no changes to this part of the site with this update.

Keep checking here for news of the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment